Sunday, November 6, 2016

take out

artist statement

my goals and intentions were to create a charcoal drawling that was visual pleasing and that lead you into the picture. I accomplished this by having the chop sticks sort of vertical so that you could follow them to the take out box. My drawling is about the contrast of dark and light that can make something so unique depending on what angle you chose to interpret it from.
The most difficult challenge in this drawling was getting all the different types of values of light and dark so that you could differentiate the values and shapes. I meet this challenge by having at least 7 different values and not putting close values together so it all looked the same. I experienced teh right brain thinking but looking at the set up i had made and drawling what i saw. It really works when its leading you in because its dark at the bottom and lighter at the top as if its going up toward the sun (where the light was).
Some things I have learned from this project were how to blend the black with an eraser so you could make blacks lighter and still be able to differentiate shapes. I can now incorporate this into my next drawling to make the shapes stand out better and separate figures.
Another artist who I thought did a great job on this was Audrey Barnheart. She had nice shadows and her shapes were all different so you could tell were things were. She helped me to figure out what different shades to make my different areas and encouraged my drawling along the way. Thanks Audrey for making my drawling look better <3.

1 comment:

  1. Great drawing AND artist statement. 100% The shadow play on the table and cast on the lower chopstick creates great visual interest. Thats what the drawing is all about.

    ReplyDelete